The Florida keys are a magical place. The water down there is a beautiful color and I could not stop staring at. This was my first time down there after living in Florida my whole life. I can not wait to go back again to live out the best salty life. So for my short time down there here are a few suggestions for what to do and eat.
Let’s Start with where to eat:
- Moondog Bakery, Key West: We had a wonderful breakfast here and I could not recommend it enough. The decor inside is super cute as well. Take a look at the cafe below.
2. Blue Heaven, Key West: Another wonderful breakfast place. I ordered the banana pancakes which were HUGE. This place can get packed pretty fast so I recommend getting there early.
3. Sloppy Joe’s, Key West: A friend of ours recommended this place and it did not disappoint. There have been various country stars who have sung on the stage here. We had a great lunch here with some daiquiris as well.
4. Alonzo’s, Key West: We were recommended this place by a local and decided to go for lunch. Again the food was delicious and if you sit outside you may catch a view of them feeding the tarpons.
5. Two Friends, Key West: I had some wonderful fish tacos here. This place must always be busy as we went for a very late dinner and it was still pretty packed. Guess that just shows how good it is right?
6. Morada Bay- Beach Cafe & Bar, Islamorada: This place is where you wanna be for sunset. We ate dinner and then watched the sun go down and it was gorgeous. The beach cafe is such a cute set up as well.
Pro tip: Most of the seating is outdoors so I suggest bringing something to ward off the mosquitos. We went in May and they weren’t too bad but it is Florida.
Things to do :
- Take a snorkel trip : We did two amazing snorkel trips while in Key West. The first one we did during the day with Sebago and saw amazing coral wildlife. The second we did at sunset with Sunset which maybe is not the best time to snorkel but while cruising we did see dolphins and a beautiful sunset.
- Visit the beach: While there really are the normal beaches per se in the Keys. Key west has Smather’s beach (which has the most perfect palm trees) and Fort Zachary Taylor State Park which is the only natural beach in Key West.
- While in Key West you can walk up and down Duval street either bar hopping or doing a little shopping
- If you are sunset lover than you definitely can not miss a sunset at Mallory Square.
The Florida Keys are an awesome getaway choice and I can’t recommend it more. The feeling of just being down there is so relaxing and truly a wonderful experience.